Table of Contents
The mission and vision statements by Harley-Davidson, Inc. show how updated this corporation is when it comes to bikes and related technology. The company has an experience that stretches as far back as 1903 when it first open its doors to start designing motorcycles. Since then, Harley-Davidson, Inc. has maintained unparalleled standards in this industry across the globe by always operating within the provisions of its mission and vision statement.
A corporate mission statement gives the future developmental position of a company, while a corporate mission statement outlies the strategic methods that would drive the organization towards the future position. In this case, the Harley-Davidson vision statement is all about satisfying the needs of all its stakeholders including the customers.
Its mission statement prioritizes on the differentiation of its products as the major approach for ensuring its success. In addition, Harley-Davidson banks on its core values in streamlining the entire organization to remain focused on both the mission and the vision statements.
Harley-Davidson mission statement is “we fulfill dreams through the experiences of motorcycling, by providing to motorcyclists and to the general public an expanding line of motorcycles and branded products and services in selected market segments.” The statement affirms the positive impacts that this company leaves wherever it operates. Particularly, the emphasis is on the expertise touch that customers can only get from the Harley-Davidson made motorcycles. The statement gives these main elements:
- Distinguished products
- Exceeding expectations
For over a century, Harley-Davidson has been showcasing some of the trendiest motorcycles in the industry, making it the most demanded brand in the world. The company remains abreast with the needs of its customers, and this has enabled it to stay ahead of many other competitors in this niche. Other than outdoing other brands, there is much more that comes with Harley-Davison’s motorcycles that make them a darling for any bike lover. The customizations and accessories that are rider-friendly, together with their affordability are few of the many additional factors that make this company unique.
Harley-Davidson vision statement is that “Harley-Davidson, Inc. is an action-oriented, international company, a leader in its commitment to continuously improve our mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders (customers, suppliers, employees, shareholders, government, and society). Harley-Davidson believes the key to success is to balance stakeholders’ interests through the empowerment of all employees to focus on value-added activities.” The statement underscores the commitment of this corporation to meet the needs of everyone it serves. The vision statement has the following main points:
- Global reach
There are various ways that Harley-Davidson satisfies the two components in its vision statement. First, the company promotes economically healthy relationships with all its stakeholders. This has helped it to penetrate and conquer new global markets. Moreover, it also deepens its reputation by constantly being part of community growth through its social responsibility programs.
Harley-Davidson core values comprise “integrity, be accountable, encourage creativity, inspire teamwork, individuality, and diversity.” To survive the various economic turmoil and the ever-changing business landscapes, this company needed to be anchored in a strong organizational culture. With these values as the guiding principles, Harley-Davidson has managed to remain focused on its mission and vision statements.
- Bowen, S. A. (2018). Mission and Vision. The International Encyclopedia of Strategic Communication, 1-9.
- Engel, M. L. (2018). Crafting the ideal mission statement for your organization. Leader to Leader, 2018(87), 7-12.
- Gordon, G. (2017). Communication, Vision, and Mission. In Leadership through Trust (pp. 63-69). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Grant, R. (2018). Harley Davidson: Creating experience from strategy. The Business & Management Collection.
- Harley-Davidson – About.
- Helfers, E. (2015). Mission Statements. Booth, 7(10), 1.
- Pugliese, M. J., & Cagan, J. (2002). Capturing a rebel: modeling the Harley-Davidson brand through a motorcycle shape grammar. Research in Engineering Design, 13(3), 139-156.
- Ratcliffe, J. (2016). Reconnecting with your personal brand by using two helpful business models. Journal of Aesthetic Nursing, 5(6), 304-305.
- Roese, N. J., & Kompella, M. (2017). Harley-Davidson: Chasing a new generation of customers. Kellogg School of Management Cases, 1-12.
- Schembri, S. (2009). Reframing brand experience: The experiential meaning of Harley–Davidson. Journal of Business Research, 62(12), 1299-1310.
- Teerlink, R., & Ozley, L. (2000). More than a motorcycle: The leadership journey at Harley-Davidson. Harvard Business Review Press.
- Triwastuti, R. (2017). Market Entry Strategy of Multinational Enterprise (MNE): A Case Study of Harley Davidson. The International Journal of Applied Business, 1(2), 113-123.