Airbnb is a leading online platform that offers its clients an ideal marketing place where they can shop and order for a wide range of hospitality services at the comfort of their home.
Established in 2008, Airbnb has become a household name not only in America but also across the globe due to the strength of its mission and vision statements. The emphasis it places on excellence in everything it does has particularly placed it atop of other similar platforms.
The mission statement of a company presents the steps the management seeks to abide by while delivering its services to its target audience. In the case of Airbnb, the focus of its mission statement is on the experience it creates for its customers.
The vision statement of a company goes hand in hand with the mission statement. In fact, it is the eventual outcome of the strategies of the mission statement, which corresponds to the future achievements the business wants to be associated with. In this case, Airbnb vision statement is all about leaving a memorable reputation at a global level.
Other than these two elements, the core values of a company are critical in guiding the overall operations of the firm to remain within the expectations of the mission and vision statement.
Airbnb incorporates values such as champion, simplify, being a ‘cereal’ entrepreneur and adventurousness have been integral in the success of witnessed so far. Together all these aspects keep the organization running and getting a step closer to its goals and objectives.
|HEADQUARTERS||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|STATUS||Private held Company|
|INDUSTRY SECTOR||Hospitality Services|
|TRADING SYMBOL||AIRBNB (not public yet)|
Airbnb Mission Statement
Airbnb mission statement is “is to live in the world where one day you can feel like you’re home anywhere & not in a home, but truly home, where you belong.” The mission statement displays the impact the company expects to have on the lives of its client. It particularly emphasizes the extent of satisfaction that would position it as a coveted marketing place. The components associated with this mission statement comprise.
- Improvement of life
- Exceeding expectations
- Creating a sense of belonging
Airbnb focusses its attention on positively impacting on the experiences that its customers have when interacting with the company. The firm does this by customizing its services to agree with the general needs of its client base. It also goes an extra mile to localize the services it offers to reflect the needs of specific cohorts across the globe, especially through its range of services dubbed host and experiences.
The needs of this first component directly link to those of the second one where Airbnb has distinguished itself as a company that does not settle for normal. Instead, its primary objective is giving its all in everything it touches for the maximum experience of its customers.
In fact, the relationships it has established with all its hosts across the globe shows just how critical excellence is for Airbnb. The management of the company prides in leaving the customers longing for more every time. In the final component, Airbnb strives to ensure that its efforts and services and linkages it provides to its customers create one impact – a sense of belonging.
It is something the company has proven beyond doubt that it can achieve through its dependable and safe approach called responsible hosting across the globe. All a potential client needs to do its book a home online, and leave the rest for Airbnb to ensure they perfectly fall into place.
Essentially, Airbnb believe that people share a fundamental element of goodness with which everyone can feel comfortable and accepted has been instrumental in the achievement of this mission.
In the final component, Airbnb strives to ensure that its efforts and services and linkages it provides to its customers create one impact – a sense of belonging. It is something the company has proven beyond doubt that it can achieve through its dependable and safe approach called responsible hosting across the globe. All a potential client needs to do its book a home online, and leave the rest for Airbnb to ensure they perfectly fall into place. Essentially, Airbnb believe that people share a fundamental element of goodness with which everyone can feel comfortable and accepted has been instrumental in the achievement of this mission.
Airbnb vision statement is “Belong Anywhere.” The vision statement talks about going beyond the regional and national limitation when it comes to the services any client can get from Airbnb. The company hints at its global presence and domination, which is a reflection of its leadership potential in the hospitality sector. Several components can be extracted from this vision statement.
- Belonging. Airbnb is among the first company to come out strongly in making the world a global village. The company has succeeded in establishing a wide network interlinking different related hospitality hosts and service providers, all with the purpose of giving its customers the best experiences. The beauty of this web is that irrespective of being widespread, it remains solid in the advancement of the Airbnb concept of oneness. The level of cooperation, led by Airbnb has been central in the presence of a feeling of belonging among its customers.
- Global presence. To meet the needs of this second component in Airbnb mission statement, the management of the company recognizes the importance of pushing similar principles in all regions it operates in. By doing so, this has created a diverse global community with distinguishing Airbnb characteristics and facilitated by the inclusive platform that all the hosts and guests exploit irrespective of their location.
Airbnb core values include “champion the mission, be a host, simplify, every frame matters, be a ‘cereal’ entrepreneur, and embrace the adventure.” They form the fundamental elements that drive the operations of the firm and ensure everyone remains in the right direction. The following characteristics relate to these values:
- Champion the Mission
- Be a Host
- Every Frame Matters
- Be a Cereal Entrepreneur
- Embrace the adventure
Airbnb commitment to its ambition has been strengthened by its founder who demonstrated the need for a workforce that believes in the mission of the company ever since the first days if the company.
This value leads to the second that calls for everyone who comes in contact with the company to be part of it by offering what they can to advance its mission and vision. By doing this, they should be led by simplicity which demonstrates how important even a show of friendliness is to the business strategies.
The value of cereal entrepreneur is highly recognized for the impact it has had on the company growth, and therefore, Airbnb considers it a sense of identity for the company. In relation to this, Airbnb values adventure as the best source of creativity and sustained growth in any business as it not only gives birth to new ventures but also promotes joy and work optimism.
- Airbnb – Home.
- Brătianu, C., & Bălănescu, G. V. (2008). Vision, mission and corporate values. A comparative analysis of the top 50 US companies. Management & Marketing, 3(3), 19-38.
- Brown, W. A., & Yoshioka, C. F. (2003). Mission attachment and satisfaction as factors in employee retention. Nonprofit management and leadership, 14(1), 5-18.
- Darbi, W. P. K. (2012). Of mission and vision statements and their potential impact on employee behaviour and attitudes: The case of a public but profit-oriented tertiary institution. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(14).
- David, F. R., & David, F. R. (2003). It’s time to redraft your mission statement. Journal of Business Strategy, 24(1), 11-14.
- Ingenhoff, D., & Fuhrer, T. (2010). Positioning and differentiation by using brand personality attributes: Do mission and vision statements contribute to building a unique corporate identity?. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 15(1), 83-101.
- Kantabutra, S., & Avery, G. C. (2010). The power of vision: statements that resonate. Journal of business strategy, 31(1), 37-45.
- Kernaghan, K. (2003). Integrating values into public service: The values statement as centerpiece. Public administration review, 63(6), 711-719.
- King, D. L., & Case, C. J. (2013). 2012 mission statements: A ten country global analysis. Academy of Strategic Management Journal, 12(1).
- Leuthesser, L., & Kohli, C. (1997). Corporate identity: The role of mission statements. Business Horizons, 40(3), 59-67.
- Lucas, J. R. (1998). Anatomy of a vision statement. Management Review, 87(2), 22-27.
- Morphew, C. C., & Hartley, M. (2006). Mission statements: A thematic analysis of rhetoric across institutional type. The Journal of Higher Education, 77(3), 456-471.
- Omran, M., Atrill, P., & Pointon, J. (2002). Shareholders versus stakeholders: corporate mission statements and investor returns. Business Ethics: A European Review, 11(4), 318-326.
- Peyrefitte, J., & David, F. R. (2006). A content analysis of the mission statements of United States firms in four industries. International Journal of Management, 23(2), 296.
- Rajasekar, J. (2013). A comparative analysis of mission statement content and readability. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 14(6), 131-147.
- Rarick, C. A., & Vitton, J. (1995). Corporate strategy: Mission statements make cents. Journal of Business Strategy, 16(1), 11-12.
- Urde, M. (2009). Uncovering the corporate brand’s core values. Management Decision, 47(4), 616-638.