Ben and Jerry’s has a three-part mission statement. The product part is “to make, distribute and sell the finest quality all-natural ice cream and euphoric concoctions with a continued commitment to incorporating nutritious, natural ingredients and promoting business practices that respect the Earth and the Environment.” The other two comprise economic and social. They all contribute to the success of the firm. The primary common components in all are:
- Distinguished quality and services
- Improving communities
As a tradition, Ben and Jerry’s leaves nothing to chance while delivering all its services such as making the ice cream, innovatively improving the lives of everyone, and maintaining financial sustainability. The company has demonstrated that its customers come first in numerous ways, including the annual free cone day to celebrate its anniversary.
Ben and Jerry’s is one of the leading manufacturers of ice cream, sorbet and frozen yogurt in the U.S. The company has been at the top of this game since 1978 when it opened its business doors in Burlington. The company preserved a rich culture of running its business even after changing ownership in 2000 due to its mission and vision statement. A corporate vision statement is crucial because it sets a future for a company. Similarly, a corporate mission state identifies the strategies of growth.
For Ben and Jerry’s, the vision statement is all about the perfection of its ice cream skills. On the other hand, its mission statement emphasizes the duty of the company on various fronts such as product, economic and social. The company seeks to excel in all. It has managed to do so aided by its core values. In fact, they complement the mission and vision statements in a unique way.
Ben and Jerry’s vision statement is “making the best possible ice cream, in the nicest possible way.” The reputation of this company is pegged on its incomparable perfection in making ice cream. The statement has the following components:
- Best ice cream
- Dynamic ways
All Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is made from cow milk blended with additional ingredients to create euphoric flavours. The company adds a taste of its craftsmanship in the trade by coming up with irresistible cone designs.
Ben and Jerry’s core values comprise “racial justice, democracy, support GMO labelling and fair-trade.”
These principles have been the determinant of how Ben and Jerry’s run its business. They have seen it establish itself as a dominant and respectable firm.
- Ben and Jerry’s – About.
- Calder, W. B. (2014). Achieving an Institution’s Values, Vision, and Mission. College Quarterly, 17(2), n2.
- Gottlieb, H. (2007). 3 Statements That Can Change the World: Mission/Vision/Values. 3 Statements That Can Change the World: Mission/Vision/Values.
- Kenny, G. (2014). Your Company’s Purpose is Not Its Vision, Mission or Values. Harvard Business Review. Sep, 3.
- Mullane, J. V. (2002). The mission statement is a strategic tool: when used properly. Management Decision, 40(5), 448-455.
- Sidhu, J. (2003). Mission Statements: Is it Time to Shelve Them? European Management Journal, 21(4), 439-446.