Boston University in Massachusetts has set the quality bar of research and education high in the United States through its ever-focused mission and vision statements. The 1839 founded institution is famed to have a humming and high gear learning environment due to the influence it draws from its corporate tools. A corporate vision statement leads an establishment towards an achievable future, while a corporate mission statement identifies the strategies that boost development.
In this case analysis of Boston University, the vision statement is all about leadership and dynamism in delivering education. On the other hand, the mission statement emphasizes on finding the most effective mechanisms of transforming learners into productive individuals. The core values of Boston University are also critical as they direct the progress of this institution by nurturing a healthy environment.
Boston University Mission Statement
Boston University mission statement indicates that it is “committed to educating students to be reflective, resourceful individuals ready to live, adapt, and lead in an interconnected world. Boston University is committed to generating new knowledge to benefit society.” Based on this statement, the focus is on the overall impact on the communities. It has the following parts:
- Educating scholars
- Improving societies
As an institution of higher learning, the main role of Boston University is to give everyone a chance to benefit from its education. The institution demonstrates its commitment to this call by structuring its academic programs in such a way that they favor the schedules of different learners. It also has a wide range of programs of over 300. This is consistent with its founding principle of doing so for the benefit of the wider society, a concept that is captured in the second part.
Boston University vision statement is not yet published. The institution, however, has shown that it has the vision to be a leader in the education sector. In fact, it has already established this foundation by creating a learning institution whose value goes beyond conventional training.
The system applied by Boston University goes much deeper to mold responsible professionals that can transform both the societies they live in the world. Such an education boasts in being holistic, and this is the main reason Boston considers changing the world its identity.
Boston University core values include “celebrating thinkers, extraordinary teaching, groundbreaking research, and embracing diversity.” The presence of these values creates a perfect environment where everyone, including the students and the faculty, can thrive.
Such a campus life is what makes Boston University home for everyone.
- Allison, J. (2019). Mission statements and vision statements: examining the relationship toward performance outcomes. Global Journal of Management and Marketing, 3(1), 1.
- Boston University – About.
- Dermol, V., & Sachakamol, P. (2016). The Importance of Communication and Internalization of Organizational Values, Company Mission, and Vision. In Managing Innovation and Diversity in Knowledge Society Through Turbulent Time: Proceedings of the MakeLearn and TIIM Joint International Conference (pp. 1013-1021).
- Rozycki, E. G. (2004). Mission and vision in education. Educational Horizons, 82(2), 94-98.
- Slater, R. E., & Mizon, J. (2018). In Search of Organisational Values: a collaborative action research study to find values to underpin the organisational vision and mission. eO and P, 25(4), 32-42.
- Taylor, K. A. (2018). Leadership Practices that Affect Student Achievement: The Role of Mission and Vision in Achieving Equity (Doctoral dissertation, Boston College).