Feeding America mission statement is “to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.” The main focus of this statement is impacting needy Americans through food provision. Two main components clarify the context of this mission:
- Improving lives
- Fighting hunger
The organization meets the needs of the first component by ensuring that it remains ready and resourced to feed people in need in the U.S. The establishment recognizes that food is an immediate need and that its absence compromises the quality of life. That is why it prioritizes on soup kitchens, food pantries to satisfy the urgent needs first. To stay ahead of pressures of hunger, it calls for like-minded stakeholders to support this cause through donations. Currently, it consists of over 200 food banks feeding over 40 million Americans annually.
Feeding America tops the list of the most active and nationally recognized non-profit organizations in the U.S. From early 1979, the company has been a household name across the country due to its efficiency in combating hunger and related health needs. In all its programs, Feeding America has been directed by its mission and vision statements. They specify the scope and ambitions of the establishment, and this has seen it rise as the second biggest charity in the country based on Forbes rankings.
The status of Feeding America shows how important incorporating the right corporate tools is for a company. The clear growth direction it has is all because of its corporate vision statement. The corporate mission statement has also enabled it to structure and organize itself efficiently, making it easy to execute the set activities. The seamlessness characterizing business operations within Feeding America is enhanced by the incorporation of core values that improve the overall attitude and commitment of stakeholders.
Though not officially published, the vision of Feeding America is “to keep America hunger-free.” This is a fight that the organization has been engaged in for more than 30 years. In the process, it as attracted notable partners such as Amazon, Abbot, Sprouts, and Sysco to join this noble cause. There are other in-kind donations from different corporate entities as well as individual contributions.
Feeding America core values include “collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, and social justice.” While feeding the hungry is the most important duty for this organization, it seeks to do it with fairness and in a just manner. It uses its core values to create a serving culture where everyone feels accepted and appreciated.
- Campagna, C., & Fernandez, T. (2007). A comparative analysis of the vision and mission statements of international environmental organizations. Environmental Values, 16(3), 369-398.
- Feeding America – About.
- Forbes, D. J., & Seena, S. (2006). The value of a mission statement in an association of not‐for‐profit hospitals. International journal of health care quality assurance.
- French, S. N., Kelly, S. J., & Harrison, J. L. (2001). Operationalizing vision and mission. Journal of Management & Organization, 7(2), 30-40.
- Urde, M. (2003). Core value‐based corporate brand building. European Journal of marketing.
- Wartnaby, D. (2014). Organizational philosophies: mission, vision, and values statements-introductory thoughts. Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues: Insight Series.