The mission and mission statements of Goldman Sachs represent an organization with a clear focus on what it works to achieve – empower its clients. As a leading American-based financial service and investment bank corporation, Goldman Sachs has proven itself leading to its global recognition for its customer-oriented approach.
Perhaps, the multinational firm draws this understanding of the people it serves from its grounded experience in the business considering it has been in existence since 1869. It has also learned the importance of having appropriate corporate statements to guide the operations of the company.
In this regard, the corporate mission statement of Goldman Sachs is all about exploiting its expertise to help the people it serves. On the other hand, its vision statement shows the desire of the corporation in being an investment and financial leader in the industry. Other than the mission and vision statements, Goldman Sachs also uses its core values to advance its growth and development.
Goldman Sachs mission statement is “commit people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow.” The statement indicates how important it is for Goldman Sachs to be the difference creator in the lives of its clients. The statement has the following components:
- Bringing people capital and ideas together
- Improving lives
Goldman Sachs recognizes the importance of understanding and coming up with products and services that meet the needs of its clients. It operates in segments such as investment management, institutional client services, banking, and investing and lending. For success in these areas, Goldman Sachs focusses on getting the best team of experts together with applicable systems. Since it started running its business, the company has always gotten this concept right, leading to its progressive growth and impact on the lives of the institutions and the people it serves.
Goldman Sachs vision statement can be assumed to be “establishment of investment and financial freedom for all.” The statement has the following key feature:
Financial freedom for all. At Goldman Sachs, every customer is given maximum attention by the expertise to understand their needs. The company then adopts the most appropriate approach to drive the business of the customer or institution towards the desired growth.
Goldman Sachs core values comprise “teamwork, integrity, client first, innovation and excellence.” These values are accredited to the existence of a distinctive culture in this corporation.
They have been crucial in the positioning of the company and the creation of lasting relationships with its clients across the globe.
- Babnik, K., Breznik, K., Dermol, V., & Trunk Širca, N. (2014). The mission statement: organisational culture perspective. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 114(4), 612-627.
- Deazeley, B. (2009). The importance of vision, mission and values. Imagine Canada.
- Goldman Sachs – What we do.
- Ireland, R. D., & Hitt, M. A. (1992). Mission statements: Importance, challenge, and recommendations for development. Business Horizons, 35(3), 34-43.
- Kukkurainen, M. L., Suominen, T., Rankinen, S., HÄRKÖNEN, E., & Kuokkanen, L. (2012). Organizational vision: experience at the unit level. Journal of nursing management, 20(7), 868-876.
- Sheaffer, Z., Landau, D., & Drori, I. (2008). Mission Statement and Performance: An Evidence of” Coming of Age”. Organization Development Journal, 26(2).