Hewlett-Packard (HP) was one of the biggest IT companies founded in 1939 in the U.S. majoring in hardware and software products and services. Before its split into different firms, this company had grown into a dominant multinational corporation courtesy of its core values, mission and vision statements. A corporate vision statement is a tool that enables a business to stay focused towards a future achievement, while a corporate mission statement identifies the strategic approaches of making this future realizable.
For HP, its vision statement is all about designing groundbreaking technologies with a lasting impact on society. On the other hand, its mission statement highlights the role that its quality products and service play in creating a loyal client base. The core values of HP also contribute to the reputation of this firm in that they are responsible for its coveted and winning culture.
HP Mission Statement
HP mission statement is “we earn customer respect and loyalty by consistently providing the highest quality and value. We achieve sufficient profit to finance growth, create value for our shareholders and achieve our corporate objectives.” These are the main components of this mission statement:
- Distinguished products and services. In its mission statement, HP considers the quality of its products as its major strength. In fact, this is what it exploits to expand throughout the world and conquer new markets. The competition that its laptops, desktops, printers and other products offer is overwhelming. Its services and business solutions also add to the reputation that HP brand enjoys to date.
- Improving societies. All the products offered by HP are maximized and tailored to the contemporary needs of companies and individuals. As a result, it has become a dependable company through these products, showing how it influences developments in diverse segments.
HP vision statement is “to create technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere — every person, every organization, and every community around the globe.” It has the following components:
- Promote innovation
- Global reach
The focus of HP is to bring the best products to its clients. That is why it prioritizes innovation. The company also ensures that there is no geographical limitation by expanding into global markets.
HP core values include “customer loyalty, market leadership, growth, and commitment to employees.”
Today, HP as a brand has gained global recognition due to the quality and value that the company offers. This has been promoted by the practices within the organization as influenced by the core values.
- Cannon, S. M., & Kreutzer, K. (2018). Mission accomplished? Organizational identity work in response to mission success. human relations, 71(9), 1234-1263.
- Hacklin, F., Björkdahl, J., & Wallin, M. W. (2018). Strategies for business model innovation: How firms reel in migrating value. Long-range planning, 51(1), 82-110.
- HP – About.
- Jollands, S., Akroyd, C., & Sawabe, N. (2015). Core values as a management control in the construction of “sustainable development”. Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 12(2), 127-152.
- Kreutzer, R. T. (2019). Vision, Mission and Goals. In Toolbox for Marketing and Management (pp. 33-48). Springer, Cham.
- Macri, D. V. (2015). Make a (Mission) Statement.
- Warrick, D. D. (2017). What leaders need to know about organizational culture. Business Horizons, 60(3), 395-404.