The National Basketball Association (NBA) has dominated the global basketball sports due to the popularity and professionalism that it ascribes all its operations to. As the major Men’s league in North America, the NBA has demonstrated how an organization of such a high profile should operate. All this comes down to its mission and vision statements. A corporate vision statement identifies the future potential of an organization, while a corporate mission statement shows how to turn the future into a reality.
In this case, the vision statement of NBA is to progressively grow and maintain the top reputation of the league globally. Its mission statement emphasizes that this is only possible through inspiring competitions, and driven by integrity. To achieve this, NBA borrows from its core values. They ensure that everyone is committed to the mission and vision of the organization and prioritizes its success.
NBA Mission Statement
NBA mission statement is “we compete with intensity, lead with integrity and inspire play.” The statement shows that the organization leaves nothing to chance when it comes to the triumph of the NBA league. This statement by the NBA has these main components:
- Transforming the sport
- Limitless entertainment
Based on the first component, NBA is continually finding new strategies for increasing the value of basketball in both Canada and the U.S. The organization has particularly proven this through the gradual introduction of regulations and other managerial rules throughout the history of this league, leading to its current global reputation. Due to the progressive refinement of the NBA, it has drawn tremendous support worldwide, and in turn, the 30 teams league keeps its fans entertained all season long.
NBA is yet to publish its vision statement. Over the years, the body has maintained its commitment to the sport by showing that it is the premier basketball league globally. Such a dedication shows how determined it is to lead in the men’s basketball.
Today, the NBA is constantly improving the core aspects of the sport, including ethics to ensure that it sets the best standards for other leagues to emulate. Other than this, the NBA shows that it is more than a sport through its NBA caring season, where it gives back to the communities.
NBA core values comprise “integrity, teamwork, respect, and innovation.” These are the main elements that enable the organization to remain focused on its mission and vision.
The values guide and streamline all the activities at the NBA in such a way that they keep the sport at the top level. That explains why the league never cease to grow in all its segments.
- Horwath, R., & Drucker, P. (2005). Discovering purpose: Developing mission, vision & values. Chicago, IL.
- Mullane, J. V. (2002). The mission statement is a strategic tool: when used properly. Management Decision, 40(5), 448-455.
- NBA – Home.
- Ricci, F. A. (2011). Managing the Organizational Vision, Mission, and Planning: Five Steps toward a Successful Leadership Strategy. Online Submission.
- Sattari, S., Pitt, L. F., & Caruana, A. (2011). How readable are mission statements? An exploratory study. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 16(4), 282-292.
- Wartnaby, D. (2014). Organisational philosophies: mission, vision and values statements-introductory thoughts. Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues: Insight Series.