USCIS mission statement is “to administer the nation’s lawful immigration system, safeguarding its integrity and promise by efficiently and fairly adjudicating requests for immigration benefits while protecting Americans, securing the homeland, and honoring our values.” The statement outlines the primary duties of the Agency. It contributes to:
- Improvement of lives
- Protection of the U.S.
There are several services that USCIS offers leading to direct improvement of peoples lives. Some of these comprise its role in citizenship, immigration of family members, management of processes that allow foreigners to work in the U.S., adoptions and genealogy. All these services directly or indirectly contribute to the protection and growth of a nation. As a part of Homeland Security, the ability of USCIS to maintain an efficient and stable system, while delivering services makes the U.S. a safer place.
USCIS is an American agency whose primary duty is to oversee and control the process of naturalization and immigration in the nation. The organization has been in operation since March 2003 and has since stabilized the lawful immigration system in the U.S. Its mission and vision statements have particularly been instrumental in making the duty and responsibilities of USCIS clear. Ideally, a corporate vision statement gives a futuristic focus, while a corporate mission statement outlines the technicalities of achieving any vision.
For USCIS, its vision statement underscores the importance of having an efficient screening system that benefits and protects the nation at all times. On the other hand, the mission statement lays out the crucial components that position USCIS as a dependable agency in a nation of immigrants. Other than that, the core values of USCIS adds to the efficiency of the organization’s journey in achieving its mission and vision.
USCIS vision statement is “to secure America’s promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system.” The statement comprises of the following main parts:
- Securing the promise of America
- Promoting dependable systems
America is a land of immigrants, and this is what USCIS works tirelessly to uphold. It has instituted the best systems to keep this promise alive. With such capability and its legal resources, it makes individuals, families and the entire nation satisfied and motivated to excel.
USCIS core values include “integrity, respect, innovation, and vigilance.” As a state agency, USCIS must exhibit the best attitudes that reflect the face of the nation. With its core values, this a body overcomes any hurdles and stays steps ahead in its work.
- French, S. N., Kelly, S. J., & Harrison, J. L. (2001). Operationalising vision and mission. Journal of Management & Organization, 7(2), 30-40.
- Gottlieb, H. (2007). 3 Statements That Can Change the World: Mission/Vision/Values. 3 Statements That Can Change the World: Mission/Vision/Values.
- Horwath, R., & Drucker, P. (2005). Discovering purpose: Developing mission, vision & values. Chicago, IL.
- Kernaghan, K. (2003). Integrating values into public service: The values statement as centerpiece. Public administration review, 63(6), 711-719.
- Urde, M. (2003). Core value‐based corporate brand building. European Journal of marketing.
- USCIS – About.