Yale mission statement is that it “is committed to improving the world today and for future generations through outstanding research and scholarship, education, preservation, and practice. Yale educates aspiring leaders worldwide who serve all sectors of society.” It has the following components:
- Transforming the world
- Improving lives
At Yale, all the resources are directed towards training and dissemination of knowledge and skills that promise to positively impact the world. In fact, its research and collections prove that the university has been part of the continued global developments in various aspects of life. To continue impacting societies, Yale targets to mold responsible experts in diverse fields, and future-oriented leaders by going an extra mile to even offer scholarships to deserving scholars.
Yale University has maintained its reputation as one of the top research-based institutions in the U.S. due to its mission and vision statements. Considering that it is also the third-oldest institution of higher learning in the nation, Yale ensures that this is also reflected in its leadership and quality of education it provides.
Just like a corporate vision statement determines the desired future achievements of an institution, the vision statement of Yale directs the university to rise as the best education facility. On the other hand, its mission statement agrees with the definition of a corporate mission statement as it outlines the strategies employed by Yale to benefit all the people it serves. In addition to these two tools, Yale also uses its core values to maintain a high level of performance in all its segments.
Yale vision statement is “to be the most student-focused research university in the world.” The statement shows how much the institution values its students. It comprises of the listed components:
- Student-focused institution
- Global reach
To satisfy the first component in this vision statement, Yale ensures that it incorporates the needs and views of the students while structuring its academics and research. Doing so creates flexibility and makes life worthwhile too. For the second component, this university has been constantly marketing itself to become a global brand, while at the same time linking its graduates to global opportunities.
Yale core values comprise “commitment to common good, diversity, compassion, and growth and learning.” These are the principles that have been guiding this institution for more than a century.
The institution uses its core values to maintain a progressive and futuristic culture. They also enable it to create a serene and healthy environment where everyone pursuing academics and research skills can thrive.
- Cady, S. H., Wheeler, J. V., DeWolf, J., & Brodke, M. (2011). Mission, vision, and values: what do they say?. Organization Development Journal, 29(1).
- Finley, D. S., Rogers, G., & Galloway, J. R. (2001). Beyond the mission statement: Alternative futures for today’s universities. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 10(4), 63-82.
- Gurley, D. K., Peters, G. B., Collins, L., & Fifolt, M. (2015). Mission, vision, values, and goals: An exploration of key organizational statements and daily practice in schools. Journal of Educational Change, 16(2), 217-242.
- Mirvis, P., Googins, B., & Kinnicutt, S. (2010). Vision, mission, values. Organizational Dynamics, 39(4), 316.
- Reisman, W. M. (2000). The Vision and Mission of The Yale Journal of International Law. Yale J. Int’l L., 25, 263.
- Yale – About.