Big Brothers Big Sisters mission statement is “to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.” The statement highlights the main activities that the organization uses to deliver its promise to the people. It comprises of two main features:
- Foster mentoring relationships
- Improving lives
The organization achieves the first feature of the mission statement by creating a pool of caring and influential adults to guide and model children and teens. It believes that every youth can adopt positive behaviours and focus on learning rather than indulge in the risky ones if guided by the right professionals. By doing so, the organization improves the lives of over 8.5 million youths in America. It enables them to make the right decisions leading to better communities as well.
The mission and vision statements of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America guide the company towards a noble cause of empowering children in the nation. The non-profit organization has gained an incredible reputation since 1904 due to its diligence, commitment, and comprehensiveness of the services it offers. For over a century, Big Brothers Big Sisters has remained true to its mission and vision of changing the perspectives of kids constructively. Such a long history verifies the worth of corporate statements in an organization.
The corporate vision statement gives a future target, while a corporate mission statement determines the corporate tactics of achieving the vision. In this case, the vision statement of Big Brothers Big Sisters emphasizes its impact on youths. The mission statement, on the other hand, identifies the mechanisms that the organization uses to mentor and make a difference in the lives of young generations. To deliver its services, Big Brothers Big Sisters requires supportive teams and environment, which it creates through the core values.
Big Brothers Big Sisters vision statement is “all youth achieve their full potential.” Defending and unlocking potential is the main emphasis in the statement. It has key components:
- All youths
- Full potential
The focus on all “littles” indicates that every child deserves a role model due to the various challenges in the contemporary era. With a partner to guide and inform, these young minds remain focused on this that matter enabling them to achieve their ambitions.
Big Brothers Big Sisters core values include “accountability, relationships, trust, and results.” Engaging the sensitive minds of the young generation is a sensitive undertaking. That is why this organization ensures it has the right professionals to achieve its goals among the youths through these values.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – About.
- Henry, L. (2009). School-based mentoring: Big brothers big sisters. The Education Digest, 74(5), 45.
- Ozdem, G. (2011). An analysis of the mission and vision statements on the strategic plans of higher education institutions. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice, 11(4), 1887-1894.
- Rozycki, E. G. (2004). Mission and vision in education. Educational Horizons, 82(2), 94-98.
- Sivukamaran, T., Holland, G., & Clark, L. J. (2010). Serving, Learning and Mentoring through the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program. Online Submission, 7(12), 49-53.
- Tarnow, E. (1997). A recipe for mission and vision statements. Journal of Marketing Practice: Applied Marketing Science.